Saturday, November 24, 2012

'A' is for Aperture...


Today it was all about aperture...

Luke Wong, from ABC Open, ran a great afternoon workshop here today all about aperture. What it is, how to use it and then we went out and had a go. Adjusting just our aperture...

This is what I learnt...

1. Be brave in public with your camera; even when people laugh at what you are photographing they don't actually care that you're taking photos of the corner of a brick wall!

2. A low f-stop, or high aperture, is NOT always the best option (even for those detail shots I so love!)...

3. Always check for cars before crossing the road; even when you are holding a camera a car will hurt when it hits...

4. Lots of girls like taking photos of flowers; this is nothing to be ashamed of!

5. Be brave in public with your camera; sometimes the shots that you like best are of the MOST unlikely subject. 

***Update: Always take your tripod with you... I think I've said this before too. Even a car will hurt less if you're carrying a hulking big tripod :-)


The first brick shot is using a mid-range aperture. The second one is using a high aperture. I like the top one the best. Shock horror! I almost feel like I've got to learn a whole new set of tricks about aperture. Thought I had it sorted with high and low, now there's a whole range in the middle.... here's to learning to use it well! And roll on December (did I really just say that?! You can smack me for it!), 'cos we're doing a shutter speed workshop. And that is something that I really don't use at all very much!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Next week I've got some other shots from today to show you. Of a local building that I've been wanting to photograph for a while now, and today I was BRAVE enough to do it ;-) Perhaps it was due to the other half dozen people who were also clicking away beside me... but I've got those shots all the same. See you then.

In the meantime, have a lovely Sunday.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lovely, relaxing way to spend the day. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete

Oh please comment! I love comments :-)